Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Easy Lockerbie Power Switch Repair

I took a little more effort than usual cleaning up my Lockerbie potter's wheel a couple days ago. When I was ready to trim mugs on the wheel yesterday, I tried to turn the power on to the wheel and the power lever did nothing but flop around.



To fix the situation, I removed the cover to the power box-after disconnecting power to the wheel. To remove the cover, unscrew the two outermost screws. There is supposed to be an attachment to the power lever on the inside of the cover that looks somewhat like a pepsi can pop top. Mine was laying on the bottom of the box. The inside of the cover plate should look something like this when it is attached:


The two inner screw holes are used to attach a pretty typical looking switch, much like what is used on your walls to turn on light fixtures. The switch is meant to be inserted into the hole on the pop-top looking attachment. To reattach that piece, I put it back on the inside part of the outside lever-it somewhat resembles a four leaf clover-and used a small hammer to pound down the clover looking end over the hole in the pop top looking piece until I was sure that it would not come apart again. When reassembling, I made sure the switch found its way into the large hole on that piece, reattached the screws holding the electrical switch in place and replaced the cover back onto the electric box. I apologize for not knowing the technical terms associated with this assembly....but it now works perfectly : )

No comments:

Post a Comment