Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bill Van Gilder Cone 6 Glaze Recipes

Happy New Year Everyone! I apologize for not posting for awhile but it has been a busy holiday season. Here's a link to some glaze recipes that Bill Van Gilder has generously shared. I am firing a test tile of his Crocus Martis Red today. I used red iron oxide in place of crocus martis. I'll let you know how it goes. I have been searching for a good cone 6 red glaze and would be very appreciative if anyone has a good recipe and would like to share.
http://www.vangilderpottery.com/glaze/vangilder%20CONE%206%20OXIDATION.pdf

UPDATE:
Well, it turned out to be a beautiful brown glaze with small reddish crystals. I've tried firing to cone 6 and then slow cooling to 1650 degrees Fahrenheit and holding for 30 minutes. I also tried re-firing to 1650 and holding for one hour. The glaze coloring remained the same for both tests. However, the slow cooled firing produced a semi gloss glaze and the re-fire produced a matte appearance. It does look beautiful with the wine red glaze though so it's definitely a keeper. I intend to pick up a Spanish red iron oxide or crocus martis at a later date and use that in place of the red iron oxide to see if it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment