Friday, September 24, 2010

Ceramists Who I Admire

I was thinking about George Ohr a few days ago and decided to write about some of the ceramic artists whose work inspires me. George Ohr, "The Mad Potter from Biloxi," was the first. Having lived in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, he was well ahead of the times. He broke away from the conventional ceramics of the times and experimented with shapes and the natural elasticity of the medium. Some of his work may be viewed at http://www.georgeohr.org. The next artist who inspired me was Beatrice Wood known as the "Mama of Dada." What was truly inspirational to me was the fact that she hadn't begun working with clay until her early forties. She too broke away from the conventional ceramics of the day. Some of her work may be viewed at http://beatricewood.com. Of the contemporary ceramists: I truly admire Steven Hill for his graceful pieces with the wonderful sprayed glaze transitions , Robin Hopper for his wealth of technical knowledge that he has shared in several books, Don Reitz for his exploration of form, Jennifer McCurdy for her beautiful and graceful porcelain work, and Dave Williamson, one of my professors from Baldwin-Wallace, who is better known for his jewelry but is also an incredible ceramics professor. All of these artists are easily found with a quick google search.

No comments:

Post a Comment