Monday, September 20, 2010

A Couple of Tools That I Can't Live Without

I went to Marcs, a discount store, yesterday and was lucky enough to find generic "Sham-wows" for 99 cents each. If you're unfamiliar with these, they are approximately 20 x 20 inch felt like towels. I use them for a variety of purposes including covering the tray on my potters wheel while throwing; it makes cleanup so easy. Once I'm finished working, I'll just squeeze the towels into my water bucket and do a quick wipe down of the wheel. I also use them damp to line my spray booth while glazing. Again, it makes clean up so much easier. My work often involves laying pieces on their sides to do finish work. To protect the work, a piece of foam, purchased at a fabric store, is used and I put a felt towel on top of that to keep it cleaner.

A hand held blender is another of my favorite tools. It can be purchased in the kitchen supplies area of most department stores. It is lighter and takes up less room than an electric drill with the glaze mixer attached and is perfect for mixing studio size glaze batches and slips.


No comments:

Post a Comment